San José de la Laguna Mission and Convento

Built on a rocky hill for Keresan'speaking people from Acoma, Santo Domingo, and Cohití, this church was constructed with stone and adobe in 1701, following the social upheavals caused by the 1680 Pueblo Revolt. It had a major rehabilitation in 1932 and today it is a functioning parish chuch and remains a community fixture on feast days and as a gathering place for artisans selling their wares.

  • FLOOR PLAN
  • TYPOLOGICAL ANALYSIS
  • HISTORICAL ANALYSIS

 

 

Missions Location: 
POINT (-107.3851 35.0357)
Historical Designation: 
Current Use: 
Current Condition: 
Current Integrity: 
Jurisdiction/Ownership/Management: 
Interpretive Program: 
Site Access: 
Principal Building Materials: 
Plan Type: 
Principal Facade Features: 
Ancillary Features: