Santa Clara Church

Santa Clara Pueblo was first visited in 1541 by part of Francisco Vásquez de Coronado's expeditionary force. A mission was established in 1628 as a visita  for San Juan Pueblo. In 1680 the inhabitants of Santa Clara took an active part in the Great Pueblo Revolt against the Spanish. The historic section of the pueblo complex consists of one- and two-story adobe houses surrounding two main plazas with two rectangular ceremonial kivas and a church, c. 1918. Santa Clara is a "living" pueblo and is home to a community of highly skilled artisans famous for their black polished and red polychrome pottery.

  • FLOOR PLAN
  • TYPOLOGICAL ANALYSIS
  • HISTORICAL ANALYSIS
Missions Location: 
POINT (-106.0892 35.9711)
Current Use: 
Current Condition: 
Current Integrity: 
Jurisdiction/Ownership/Management: 
Site Access: 
Principal Building Materials: 
Plan Type: 
Ancillary Features: