Santo Domingo

During much of the Spanish colonial period, Santo Domingo was an important Franciscan mission center and the ecclesiastical capital of New Mexico. A mission church erected here before 1607 by Fray Juan de Escalona, was considered one of the largest and finest in New Mexico. Pueblo Revolts turned down the first church and Fray Antonio Zamora built a new church in the mid-1700s. The 1886 flooding destroyed the church and was rebuilt again around 1895 by French Father Dumarest being the one seen today. 

  • FLOOR PLAN
  • TYPOLOGICAL ANALYSIS
  • HISTORICAL ANALYSIS
Missions Location: 
POINT (-106.3633 35.5144)
Historical Designation: 
Current Use: 
Current Condition: 
Current Integrity: 
Site Access: 
Principal Building Materials: 
Plan Type: 
Ancillary Features: