Nuestra Señora de la Luz de Orcoquisa
Nuestra Señora de la Luz Mission was established in 1756 on the east bank of the Trinity River near the site of present-day Wallisville in northern Chambers County. The mission and presidio complex attempted to prevent further French contact with the Orcoquiza and Bidai Indians and their neighbors. Two friars from the College of Nuestra Señora de Guadalupe de Zacatecas, Bruno Chavira and Marcos Satarain, presided over the mission, which was completed in 1757...In 1936 the state of Texas placed a marker on the west side of the Trinity River to denote the general location of the mission and presidio at El Orcoquisac. In 1965 and 1966, however, John V. Clay, supported by archeological excavations, established that the site was instead on the east bank of the Trinity, near Lake Miller. Almost no traces of the Spanish occupation remain.