San José y San Miguel de Aguayo

Founded in 1720, this mission was named for Saint Joseph and the Marqués de San Miguel de Aguayo, the governor of the Province of Coahuila and Texas at the time. It was built on the banks of the San Antonio River and founded  by Father Antonio Margil de Jesús. La ventana de la Rosa, the Rose Window, together with the  main façade, have been considered one of the finest examples of baroque architecture in North America. Misson San José is today an active parish. 

  • FLOOR PLAN
  • TYPOLOGICAL ANALYSIS
  • HISTORICAL ANALYSIS

 

Historical Designation: 
Current Use: 
Current Condition: 
Current Integrity: 
Jurisdiction/Ownership/Management: 
Partner Groups/Organization: 
Interpretive Program: 
Principal Building Materials: 
Plan Type: