San Xavier Mission Complex

San Xavier Mission Complex is an archaeological site that includes the San Xavier de Horcasitas, the San Ildefonso and the Candelaria Missions. It was founded in 1745 by Father Mariano Francisco de los Dolores y Viana at the request of Indians who wanted a mission in their own area, founded on the south bank of the San Gabriel River in Feb. 1748. Drought and epidemics also plagued the missions between 1752 and 1755 and eventually drove the Spanish to move the presidio and the missions to the San Marcos River in August of 1755 to present-day New Braunfels.

  • FLOOR PLAN
  • TYPOLOGICAL ANALYSIS
  • HISTORICAL ANALYSIS
Missions Location: 
POINT (-97.0075 30.6547)
Historical Designation: 
Current Use: 
Jurisdiction/Ownership/Management: 
Ancillary Features: