1960s

San Lorenzo de Picuris

Posicionado en las montañas al norte de Santa Fe a lo alto del camino hacia Taos, el pueblo de Pícuris se mantiene pequeño y tranquilo.   Fray Francisco de Zamora fue el encargado de establecer la misión permanente, que fue construida alrededor de 1620. Esta sirvió a varias comunidades cercanas aparte de Pícuris. La iglesia de la misión fue reconstruida varias veces, siendo en 1986 la última preservación hecha al edificio. 

San Juan Capistrano

Mission San Juan Capistrano se estableció en 1731 y el edificio contó con varios periodos. El compejo cuenta con la planta tradicional de edificios y paredes rodeando al patio central. El complejo incluye las ruinas de la segunda y tercera iglesias, los cimientos de algunos de los cuarteles residenciales, el convento, el granero, el pozo y la residencia para sacerdotes.

San Miguel de Socorro (Old Socorro)

The mission was built as one of the four missions among the Piro Pueblos between 1615 and 1626 through the Camino Real. This mission was partly destroyed after the Pueblo Revolt and only portions of the old church remains, including parts of the adobe walls and beams. Many preservation efforts have been seen in the mission building, being the most extensive during the 1960s. Today it is a living parish that serves a vast community.

San Juan Capistrano

Mission San Juan Capistrano was established in 1731 and underwent several building periods. The complex has the traditional plan of buildings and walls surrounding a central courtyard and includes the ruins of the second and third church, the foundations of some of the residential quarters, a convento (missionary quarters), granary foundation, well, and a residence.

San Lorenzo de Picuris

Positioned in the mountains north of Santa Fe on the high road to Taos, the pueblo of Pícuris remains small and quiet. Fray Francisco de Zamora was charged with the establishment of the permanent mission, which was built around 1620. It served several surrounding villages in addition to Picuris it self. The mission church was rebuilt several times, being the last preservation effort made in 1986. 

Pages