Después del restablecimiento de las misiones en la región, los Zunis se unieron a las luchas armadas del pueblo en 1680 destruyendo a la Misión de la Purísima Concepción, Tanto los Zunis como los españoles abandonaron Hawikuh por completo, sin regresar nunca más.
The mission was built as one of the four missions among the Piro Pueblos between 1615 and 1626 through the Camino Real. This mission was partly destroyed after the Pueblo Revolt and only portions of the old church remains, including parts of the adobe walls and beams. Many preservation efforts have been seen in the mission building, being the most extensive during the 1960s. Today it is a living parish that serves a vast community.