Santa Clara Pueblo was first visited in 1541 by part of Francisco Vásquez de Coronado's expeditionary force. A mission was established in 1628 as a visita for San Juan Pueblo. In 1680 the inhabitants of Santa Clara took an active part in the Great Pueblo Revolt against the Spanish.
Zuni Pueblo, after the mission’s reestablishment yet again, the Zunis joined the general pueblo uprisings in 1680 and destroyed Mission La Purísima Concepción a final time. The Zuni and the Spanish then abandoned Hawikuh completely, never occupying it again.
Ysleta Mission was constructed in 1744 in part to serve the Tigua Indian community which had fled New Mexico during the Pueblo Revolt. The site was also known by the Spaniards as Corpus Christi de la Isleta. In 1881 the Jesuits took over the church and renamed it Nuestra Señora del Monte Carmelo.The present church was constructed in 1851.