National Register of Historic Places

San Miguel de Socorro (Old Socorro)

The mission was built as one of the four missions among the Piro Pueblos between 1615 and 1626 through the Camino Real. This mission was partly destroyed after the Pueblo Revolt and only portions of the old church remains, including parts of the adobe walls and beams. Many preservation efforts have been seen in the mission building, being the most extensive during the 1960s. Today it is a living parish that serves a vast community.

San Juan Capistrano

Mission San Juan Capistrano was established in 1731 and underwent several building periods. The complex has the traditional plan of buildings and walls surrounding a central courtyard and includes the ruins of the second and third church, the foundations of some of the residential quarters, a convento (missionary quarters), granary foundation, well, and a residence.

Santo Domingo

During much of the Spanish colonial period, Santo Domingo was an important Franciscan mission center and the ecclesiastical capital of New Mexico. A mission church erected here before 1607 by Fray Juan de Escalona, was considered one of the largest and finest in New Mexico.

San José de la Laguna Mission and Convento

Built on a rocky hill for Keresan'speaking people from Acoma, Santo Domingo, and Cohití, this church was constructed with stone and adobe in 1701, following the social upheavals caused by the 1680 Pueblo Revolt. It had a major rehabilitation in 1932 and today it is a functioning parish chuch and remains a community fixture on feast days and as a gathering place for artisans selling their wares.

Pages