stepped wall

San Lorenzo de Picuris

Positioned in the mountains north of Santa Fe on the high road to Taos, the pueblo of Pícuris remains small and quiet. Fray Francisco de Zamora was charged with the establishment of the permanent mission, which was built around 1620. It served several surrounding villages in addition to Picuris it self. The mission church was rebuilt several times, being the last preservation effort made in 1986. 

Santa Clara Church

Santa Clara Pueblo was first visited in 1541 by part of Francisco Vásquez de Coronado's expeditionary force. A mission was established in 1628 as a visita  for San Juan Pueblo. In 1680 the inhabitants of Santa Clara took an active part in the Great Pueblo Revolt against the Spanish.

San José de la Laguna Mission and Convento

Built on a rocky hill for Keresan'speaking people from Acoma, Santo Domingo, and Cohití, this church was constructed with stone and adobe in 1701, following the social upheavals caused by the 1680 Pueblo Revolt. It had a major rehabilitation in 1932 and today it is a functioning parish chuch and remains a community fixture on feast days and as a gathering place for artisans selling their wares.