Nuestra Señora de la Bahía del Espíritu Santo de Zúñiga

This Mission was founded by Franciscan pirests in 1722. Like the French settlement at Matagorda Bay, the Spanish fort and missions did not last long, failing to grow crops and attract the local peoples to convert. Therefore, the mission was moved in 1726 near what is today Victoria, Texas where the Tamique and Aranama peoples lived. It stayed there for 26 years, but later they moved  to what is Goliad, Texas near the bank of the San Antonio River helping protect El Camino la Bahía, a major trade route to the north and east. The settlement was initially built with jacal, or wattle-and-daub. Over time these were replaced with stone buildings. Today, this mission is mantained as part of the Goliad State Park and Historic Site.

Missions Location: 
POINT (-97.438718 28.644411)
Historical Designation: 
Current Use: 
Current Condition: 
Current Integrity: 
Partner Groups/Organization: 
Principal Building Materials: 
Plan Type: 
Principal Facade Features: 
Ancillary Features: