Built on a rocky hill for Keresan'speaking people from Acoma, Santo Domingo, and Cohití, this church was constructed with stone and adobe in 1701, following the social upheavals caused by the 1680 Pueblo Revolt. It had a major rehabilitation in 1932 and today it is a functioning parish chuch and remains a community fixture on feast days and as a gathering place for artisans selling their wares.
The Mission at San Ildefonso became the center of Franciscan activity in the north when first built. The church was burned down in the Indian revolt of 1696 and then rebuilt later by the Spanish. The new church remained practically unaltered until 1905, when several substantial alterations were made and the church was nearly entirely rebuilt.
Ysleta Mission was constructed in 1744 in part to serve the Tigua Indian community which had fled New Mexico during the Pueblo Revolt. The site was also known by the Spaniards as Corpus Christi de la Isleta. In 1881 the Jesuits took over the church and renamed it Nuestra Señora del Monte Carmelo.The present church was constructed in 1851. Its distinctive silver-domed bell tower was added in 1897.