Started by Father Antonio de San Buenaventura y Olivares in 1716, this National and State Historic Landmark was originally located west of San Pedro Springs. It survived three moves. During the 19th century struggle for political and military control of Texas. These rudimentary fortifications made the old mission symbolically and strategically important for Texas history.
Mission San Juan Capistrano was established in 1731 and underwent several building periods. The complex has the traditional plan of buildings and walls surrounding a central courtyard and includes the ruins of the second and third church, the foundations of some of the residential quarters, a convento (missionary quarters), granary foundation, well, and a residence.
San Juan Pueblo is known as the first Spanish settlement in the Southwest. After the recolonization of New Mexico by the Spanish in 1692, a mission complex was built to serve the Ohkay Owingeh Pueblo. It consists of parallel blocks of one and two-story adobe houses, rectangular ceremonial kivas, a stone chapel and a 1912 stone church with Gothic Revival elements built on the site of the earlier mission church. San Juan is a living church.