Ysleta Mission was constructed in 1744 in part to serve the Tigua Indian community which had fled New Mexico during the Pueblo Revolt. The site was also known by the Spaniards as Corpus Christi de la Isleta.
Nuestra Señora de la Concepción del Socorro was founded in 1682 by the Franciscan order to serve displaced American Indians (the Piro, Tano and Jemez) from New Mexico, who fled during the Pueblo Revolt.
This Mission was founded by Franciscan pirests in 1722. Like the French settlement at Matagorda Bay, the Spanish fort and missions did not last long, failing to grow crops and attract the local peoples to convert.
Translated, mission’s full name “Our Lady of Sorrows, for the Ais,” evokes its sorrowful story, that of a small frontier mission built in the 1720s for the Ais Indians, the native group who lived along nearby Ayish Bayou.
The church is architecturally significant as physical evidence of building practices and techniques used during the Spanish colonial period. It is the least altered of all the Texas mission churches and has the only original dome of those in San Antonio.
Founded in 1720, this mission was named for Saint Joseph and the Marqués de San Miguel de Aguayo, the governor of the Province of Coahuila and Texas at the time. It was built on the banks of the San Antonio River and founded by Father Antonio Margil de Jesús.
Started by Father Antonio de San Buenaventura y Olivares in 1716, this National and State Historic Landmark was originally located west of San Pedro Springs. It survived three moves. During the 19th century struggle for political and military control of Texas.