Santa Clara Pueblo was first visited in 1541 by part of Francisco Vásquez de Coronado's expeditionary force. A mission was established in 1628 as a visita for San Juan Pueblo. In 1680 the inhabitants of Santa Clara took an active part in the Great Pueblo Revolt against the Spanish.
The mission was built as one of the four missions among the Piro Pueblos between 1615 and 1626 through the Camino Real. This mission was partly destroyed after the Pueblo Revolt and only portions of the old church remains, including parts of the adobe walls and beams.
Pueblo Jemez, now in ruins, is a NM state monument. Spanish missionaries first settled at the Gíusewa Pueblo in 1598 being Fray Alonso de Lugo the one to be in charge of establishing the Jémez mission province.