This Mission was founded by Franciscan pirests in 1722. Like the French settlement at Matagorda Bay, the Spanish fort and missions did not last long, failing to grow crops and attract the local peoples to convert.
Started by Father Antonio de San Buenaventura y Olivares in 1716, this National and State Historic Landmark was originally located west of San Pedro Springs. It survived three moves. During the 19th century struggle for political and military control of Texas.