mission secularized

San Juan Capistrano

Mission San Juan Capistrano was established in 1731 and underwent several building periods. The complex has the traditional plan of buildings and walls surrounding a central courtyard and includes the ruins of the second and third church, the foundations of some of the residential quarters, a convento (missionary quarters), granary foundation, well, and a residence.

San Juan Bautista

San Juan Pueblo is known as the first Spanish settlement in the Southwest. After the recolonization of New Mexico by the Spanish in 1692, a mission complex was built to serve the Ohkay Owingeh Pueblo. It consists of parallel blocks of one and two-story adobe houses, rectangular ceremonial kivas, a stone chapel and a 1912 stone church with Gothic Revival elements built on the site of the earlier mission church. San Juan is a living church.