- FLOOR PLAN
- TYPOLOGICAL ANALYSIS
Founded in 1691 by Father Eusebio Francisco Kino in the Santa Cruz Valley and abandoned in 1770. It is located 10 meters north of Nogales and the international Border. There is archaeological and historical evidence for sheep and cattle ranching, orchards, smelting and farming.
Ysleta Mission was constructed in 1744 in part to serve the Tigua Indian community which had fled New Mexico during the Pueblo Revolt. The site was also known by the Spaniards as Corpus Christi de la Isleta. In 1881 the Jesuits took over the church and renamed it Nuestra Señora del Monte Carmelo.The present church was constructed in 1851. Its distinctive silver-domed bell tower was added in 1897.