San Juan Pueblo is known as the first Spanish settlement in the Southwest. After the recolonization of New Mexico by the Spanish in 1692, a mission complex was built to serve the Ohkay Owingeh Pueblo. It consists of parallel blocks of one and two-story adobe houses, rectangular ceremonial kivas, a stone chapel and a 1912 stone church with Gothic Revival elements built on the site of the earlier mission church. San Juan is a living church.
Ysleta Mission was constructed in 1744 in part to serve the Tigua Indian community which had fled New Mexico during the Pueblo Revolt. The site was also known by the Spaniards as Corpus Christi de la Isleta. In 1881 the Jesuits took over the church and renamed it Nuestra Señora del Monte Carmelo.The present church was constructed in 1851. Its distinctive silver-domed bell tower was added in 1897.