Ysleta Mission was constructed in 1744 in part to serve the Tigua Indian community which had fled New Mexico during the Pueblo Revolt. The site was also known by the Spaniards as Corpus Christi de la Isleta.
The Mission Church of Nuestra Señora de la Asunción at Zia rests on a mesa looking eastward. Zía was the principal settlement of Cumanes province. Fray Alonso de Lugo was placed in charge of Zia in 1598 and the first church followed soon thereafter.