The adobe homes, ceremonial kivas, archeological remains, and the ruins of an original San Geronimo de Taos and its 1850 replacement reflect this coming together of American Indian and Spanish culture.
Santa Clara Pueblo was first visited in 1541 by part of Francisco Vásquez de Coronado's expeditionary force. A mission was established in 1628 as a visita for San Juan Pueblo. In 1680 the inhabitants of Santa Clara took an active part in the Great Pueblo Revolt against the Spanish.
The Mission of San Gregorio de Abó, built in the late 1620's, is one of four missions built in the Salinas Province of early Spanish colonization in New Mexico which today comprise Salinas National Monument.
The first church at the Pecos Pueblo was probably built by the Franciscan Fray Pedro Zambrano Ortiz by 1619. The people of the pueblo would not allow construction of a church closer to their dwellings.