This Mission was founded by Franciscan pirests in 1722. Like the French settlement at Matagorda Bay, the Spanish fort and missions did not last long, failing to grow crops and attract the local peoples to convert.
Built on a rocky hill for Keresan'speaking people from Acoma, Santo Domingo, and Cohití, this church was constructed with stone and adobe in 1701, following the social upheavals caused by the 1680 Pueblo Revolt.
Construction of this mission began in 1627 by Fray Juan Gutiérrez de la Chica. At its peak, the Quarai pueblo had approximately 1,000 rooms and housed between 600 and 700 residents of both native and Spanish decent. The pueblo buildings were arranged around a number of small plazas.
Zuni Pueblo, after the mission’s reestablishment yet again, the Zunis joined the general pueblo uprisings in 1680 and destroyed Mission La Purísima Concepción a final time. The Zuni and the Spanish then abandoned Hawikuh completely, never occupying it again.